Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Where 'tolerance' lead

You've seen the headlines. They read like the book of Revelation:

the deliberate destruction of the dollar;
the hostile government takeover of banks and businesses;
bowing in submission to the Muslim king of Saudi Arabia;
praising Europe as the world's leader;
chopping our national defense while promising to rid the world of nuclear arms;
the movement toward a global government and the now openly promoted New World Order.
the assault on human life using "the least of these our brothers" for spare parts;
tyrannical judges desecrating the institution of marriage, not just in Massachusetts and Connecticut but now in our heartland of Iowa.
The news is bad. The giants are big and they occupy our land because, well, because we elected them. Elections have consequences, and sometimes they're devastating. And, as I've mentioned about prophetic warnings in past articles, sometimes they usher in the judgment of God.

Yet so many are skipping merrily along oblivious of what is now happening on our watch and what it will cost our country, our family and our friends. My advice to those who feel overwhelmed by the nightly news is to look up. Then look around. The way I see it, we have one chance as a nation. One chance as individuals. It is to repent and turn to Jesus Christ, the One who bled on the cross on a Friday we call "good." And rose from the dead three days later.

But "tolerance" is such a lovely word – except when it comes at the expense of truth, it has cataclysmic results. I wrote a little poem for everyone clinging to "tolerance" over truth, and all of those who are sinning in silence.

Where 'Tolerance' Leads
When we disagreed while watching the news,
You chose to ignore my misguided views.
When I fell for the lie "my body, my choice,"
Fear of offending me silenced your voice.

When the courts destroyed marriage, you bit your lip,
You were too afraid that you wouldn't look "hip."
I wore a "Christian label" but was it not strange,
When I cast my vote for "hope" and for "change"?

You never mentioned, when we talked till the a.m.
To follow Christ means I have to "obey him?"
I know that was hard, it seemed so "uncouth,"
"Tolerance" was easier than speaking the truth.

You didn't tell me Jesus was the ONLY way,
After all, that's what He had to say.
To forgive us and save us, that's why He was sent,
But I never knew of my need to repent.

My sins were paid for by a God who loved me,
You could have explained it so I could see.
You called it "tolerance," but it was not love,
And now it's too late – who were you thinking of?

I trusted you and thought you were my friend,
But rather than speak up, you chose to stand by and pretend.
And for the first time, I can now tell,
With a warm, pleasant smile, you let me go to hell.

As Easter approaches, there's something more important than all that's happening in the world. Something more important than politics and policy. The most important thing is where we're going to spend eternity. And for the family and friends whom I love, who think "being good" is going to get you to heaven, I cannot keep quiet. There's a question that everyone must answer.

QUESTION: If Jesus were to ask you, "Why should I let you into heaven?" What would you say?

ANSWER: Being a "good person" won't get you there, since the Bible says, "We are all infected and impure with sin. When we display our righteous deeds, they are nothing but filthy rags. …" (Isaiah 64:6 NLT) Belief in God won't cut it – even the devil believes in God, and he's not going to heaven. Simply believing in God isn't enough. Being pro-life or Republican won't get you in. To be assured of your Salvation, each of us must:

Recognize that you're a sinner. "There is no one righteous, not even one" (Romans 3:10). We can't make excuses or blame others or our circumstances for our actions, "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23).
Recognize that Jesus died on the cross for your sins. "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8). "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 6:23).

Repent of your sins. Repent means to change direction. "Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord" (Acts 3:19). God commands us to repent and turn away from things that displease Him.

Receive Jesus as your Savior. Don't try to clean up your life first. Come to Jesus just as you are and allow Him to change your life. "Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God" (John 1:12). Jesus said, "All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away" (John 6:37).

Pray: "Dear Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner and am in need of forgiveness. I know that you died on the cross to give me that forgiveness. I accept the ultimate gift you gave to pay the penalty for my sins. I invite you to be my Savior and the Lord of my life. I trust you and will follow your way all the days of my life. In Jesus' name, Amen."

When you feel overwhelmed by all that's happening, remember, things looked pretty bleak on Friday. But Easter's coming. Repent, and cry out for God's mercy, and we just may get it.

No comments: