Tuesday, November 18, 2008

To Fear Or Not To Fear?

The week following this 2008 presidential election has left many feeling as if they have just walked through a cold mortuary filled with the post mortem remains of a once beautiful and blessed America. I’ve seen the solemn expressions of prophecy teachers and anointed preachers who have spoken since the election. I’ve seen the down cast faces of faithful believers who have passionately prayed for the healing and redemption of this nation. Many are disheartened and may even feel as if God has not heard their prayers.

David Wilkerson wrote in his book, God’s Plan To Protect His People In The Coming Depression that “Every serious follower of Christ has to realize America deserves the full fury of God’s wrath”. History is filled with examples of God’s judgment upon wicked nations. With the election of Obama, Christians in America see the ‘writing on the wall’ and know that God’s judgment on America is right at hand.

I do believe that America is about to be judged. However, God wants to remind His children that He is still on the throne. Billy Graham once made the statement “God is unchanging in His love. He loves you. He has a plan for your life. Don’t let the newspaper headlines frighten you. God is still sovereign; He’s still on the throne.” God has not changed. Hebrews 13:8 “Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and forever.” Malachi 3:6 “For I am the Lord, I change not.” None of the events of this old sinful world has taken God by surprise.

Multitudes of people are making preparations because they expect hard times are on the way--storing food and water; buying guns and ammunitions, etc. What preparations, if any, should we as Christians be making? Christians should be preparing their hearts. In Luke 21:28, Jesus tells the disciples “...then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh”. If you’re a backslidden Christian or if your love for Jesus has grown cold--then beloved, it is high time to get right with God. James 4:8 “Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.” My mother used to use the term ‘straddling the fence’ when she talked about lukewarm Christians. Brothers and sisters look around you and open your eyes. Romans 13:11 “And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed”. It’s time to get off the fence! Stand up and be the man or woman of God that He would have you be.

You can’t have peace in this world unless you have committed your all to God. I John 4:18 “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.” And, we know that “God is love” (I John 4:16). God’s judgment will surely fall on America, but God promises His children that we will abide under the shadow of His wing. Psalms 91:1 “He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty”.

There’s a story about a mother hen who overshadowed her baby chick with her wing during a tall grass fire. Afterwards, the farmer walked over the burnt field to assess the damage of his property. He stood still when he saw something move underneath a hen that had died in the fire. He picked up the charred wing of the mother hen and there laid her baby chick untouched by the scorching flames. What a comfort to know that you abide under the shadow of God Almighty! Years ago, during an especially trying time in my life, I prayed “Oh God are You here?” Someone had threatened my life and ridiculed my relationship with God. I thought as James and John did in Luke chapter nine, that God would rain fire on this man, but He didn’t.

I couldn’t understand why God just didn’t strike this person dead or at least put him in a coma or something. Yet, God taught me many things while I walked through that valley. God reminded me that He loved us while we were yet unlovable. God was showing mercy to this ungodly man. God didn’t take me out of the trial immediately, but He protected my life and gave me the strength to endure. One terrible, lonely night, I sat at my piano, weeping and asking God for deliverance. With tenderness and compassion, God reached down and wrapped me in His arms and gave me this song:

The Ancient of Days
Who is my Father, He’s the Ancient of Days,
To Jesus my Saviour belongs all glory and praise.
God of Creation, Lord of Salvation,
Who is my Father? He’s the Ancient of Days.

Though a host encamps around me, my heart shall not fear
For Jesus is my Saviour and He is always near.

Who is my Father, He’s the Ancient of Days,
To Jesus my Saviour belongs all glory and praise.
God of Creation, Lord of Salvation,
Who is my Father? He’s the Ancient of Days.

If earthly parents forsake me, the Lord will take me up,
The goodness of His mercy overfills my cup.
Who is my Father, He’s the Ancient of Days,
To Jesus my Saviour belongs all glory and praise.
God of Creation, Lord of Salvation,
Who is my Father? He’s the Ancient of Days.

Nothing shall separate me from the love of the Lord,
For Jesus is my portion and he is my reward.
Who is my Father, He’s the Ancient of Days,
To Jesus my Saviour belongs all glory and praise.
God of Creation, Lord of Salvation,
Who is my Father? He’s the Ancient of Days.

There is no need to fear if you are washed in the blood of the Lamb and abiding with Jesus. Isaiah 41:13 “For I the Lord thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee”. However, for those who refuse to turn from their wicked ways, I think the tagline for the 1986 movie The Fly can apply to you... “Be afraid, be very afraid”. Hebrews 10:31 “It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God”.

No comments: